On Friday, March 15, 1946, the Princeton Post Office delivered approximately 3,400 copies of the first issue of Town Topics to homes and businesses in town. Printed on both sides of a piece of paper 10” by 3.2,” the small paper was folded together like an oversized train timetable. There was no Town Topics office. The editorial and advertising were carried around in two briefcases and delivered once a week for printing. A Princeton institution, Town Topics Newspaper has served as Princeton’s premier community newspaper since 1946. Delivered to every home in Princeton, Town Topics reports on local politics, arts, sports, education, news, and breaking events. Quality reporting — true to our roots of local, stimulating news — keeps the reader engaged page after page, week after week.
Town Topics purchased Princeton Magazine in 2008. Now a more generous 10”x12” trim size, Princeton Magazine saturates the best of the Princeton region with seven editions per year. With our staff of award-winning writers, Princeton Magazine delves deeper into the traditions, celebrities, academics, artists and designers who call Princeton home.
Urban Agenda Magazine was launched in 2012, and Witherspoon Media Group was formed. Urban Agenda is a cultural resource for the greater metropolitan area, focusing on enjoying activities related to art, theater, music, fashion, and dining in Northern New Jersey.
With a combined print circulation of 85,000, the various Witherspoon Media Group publications are read by upscale, sought-after consumers throughout Central and Northern New Jersey. Digital media takes us beyond that, and our portfolio of publications now benefit from a daily stream of online content. We embrace the ever-changing face of digital media and strive to keep ahead of new ideas that will help our advertisers make the ultimate mark.
(above-left) The 19th-century brick edifice at 4 Mercer Street was originally located at 1 Nassau Street in 1878, and was then home to Priest’s Drugstore. Still known to many as the “old Town Topics building,” it was restored by its owner, Princeton University, in 2013. Currently it is utilized as office space and faculty housing for the University.